Strategy for Ultra Craze (78km) 2014

Friday 12 September 2014

BACKGROUND

The 3rd edition of the Craze Ultra Run will be held from 20 to 21 September 2014 (Sat - Sun). I will be participating in the 78 km category. My objective is to personally go through this first-hand more-than-marathon experience and complete it. Yes! I am embarking on my journey from self discovery, self development and with the eventual goal of self actualisation! 

My wife's illness emerged as a catalyst for me to embark on this dream fulfilling odyssey.  I may be motivated but the road to self actualisation can be tough. It, for sure, is not for the weak-hearted. I   fear that I cannot complete the full distance. I spend sleepless nights and mornings trying to clock sufficient mileages for the event. In other words, it not only entails physical and mental fitness, but also commitment, perseverance and tonnes of courage!

The longest distance I have attained recently was a mere "almost-marathon". I opine that this mileage   clocked would not prepare me adequately for my 78km run! Nevertheless, I am praying to all running demigods to see me through the finishing line. It is not part of my plan to come back as a 'DNF' participant. 

PRE-RACE PREPARATION


I realise that I have been over-exerting myself lately in my trainings. I need to revisit my training plan and strategy. In the next few weeks, I target to increase my carbo-loading for my meals, sleep/rest more and taper down my training mileages. I hope that these measures will allow my body to recuperate from the past months of trainings and increase my glycogen storage for the actual race.

ROUTE FAMILIARISATION

I did 2 familiarisation runs this week to acclimatise myself with the running route (from Sports School to Yishun Dam). I also used these runs to condition myself with the running gears that I intend to wear on the race day (i.e. running cap, sunglasses, t-shirt, compression shorts, water bag, socks and my 2 pairs of running shoes). With the route familiarisation drills, I am hoping to focus more on running than map navigating during the actual race. If time and weather permit, I hope to cover the Upper Thomson stretch this weekend. That should give me ample knowledge on the 78 km running route.

Route Recce on 7 Sep 14 (Home - Sports School - CP2 - Sun Plaza - Home)
Route Recce on 9 Sep 14 (Home - Sun Plaza - Yishun Dam - Office)
RUN STRATEGY

I did some researches. Based on 2013 Ultra Craze 78 km field data, 36 runners signed up for the event - 27 runners managed to finish the run within 20 hours, 7 runners DNF and 3 participants DNS. 

It is difficult to develop a running strategy due to too many unknown variables. For example, my fitness level, the weather, the route and the gears that I would be wearing for the day. As such, I derive that the best strategy for this event is NO STRATEGY! 

This is one of those runs that need me to have faith from my trainings and conditionings I have made so far. I should prevail if I remain composed and run at a consistent and comfortable pace for the entire distance. 


LOGISTIC SUPPORT

Besides consuming the food and water provided at each checkpoint (CP), my side-kick : Mrs. Run-The-Town (Rachel) will also be there to provide me with yummy lunch and dinner during the run. Trust me, this Mrs. can sure whip up something delicious for me!  

I anticipate that my meals would be taken at either at CP3 (Sembawang) or CP4 (Yishun Dam). Importantly, she will also be my Life Saver to provide me with solutions for any unforeseen issues that may arise on that day.

My wife sure knows her job well as a logistician for my runs
CONCLUSION

This is my first ultra-marathon. It is not going to be easy for me, but I am certain that it is a challenge well worth taking. I will surely keep my determined eyes on the finishing point. I look forward to complete the run and share this crazy running experience!



1 comment:

  1. Good job Simon. Last year Craze Ultra has some points/tips in their facebook which help me to complete 78km last year. Having anchors/items during the tough period helps..... one of the anchors I have are my faith and family. Having Mrs Run the town there will help you finish.
    See you at the starting line =)

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY