Analysing U-Run Packages

Monday 15 December 2014

Source : http://www.usports.com.sg/events/u-run-all-access-2015/
I chanced upon this "value-for-money" package in a recent race expo. I was attracted as it could mean substantial savings for my runs in 2015. Tempted as I was, I did not commit immediately. Instead, I did my homework. Here I am sharing my comparisons and analysis.

Herewith few assumptions I made when making comparisons :
  1. Registration fees mentioned in this post are based on past years' published fees for respective races. I am assuming that there is no increase in registration fees.
  2. I am assuming that I am a NTUC/nEbO member or member-to-be in order to enjoy the privileges. Do take note that not everyone can sign up as NTUC (National Trade Union Congress) member (e.g. civil servants are not eligible).
  3. I have further categorised the events for 3 groups of runners :
    • Long Distance - 21km and above
    • Mid Distance - 16 to 21km
    • Short Distance - 5 to 12 km
  4. Packages are compared against Early Bird Offers and Loyalty Programs as majority of registrants would sign up as Early Birds or Loyal runners to enjoy cheaper registration fees.
 With the above assumptions, here are my comments (in my personal opinion) :
  1. Signing up for U-Run is economic (with substantial cost-savings) only if you take part in the longer distance events. If your intention is to run in events lesser than 12 km, this package may not entail substantial cost savings and justifications for the outfront cash commitment.
  2. If one is already a regular participant in specific runs or events, he/she is most likely entitled to certain "loyalty" registration discounts. In this instance, the savings may not be significant in comparison to the loyalty/past-participants' rates.
  3. There is almost no saving if one is signing up to participate in short distance events.
  4. See below tables for comparisons. Alternatively, you could add up you savings and see it for yourself.

Comparison : U-Run Packages vs Early Bird Offers



Comparison : U-Run Packages vs Loyalty Program + Early Bird



I have no qualms in signing up for the U-Run package if I can ascertain my running schedule and races to participate in 2015. It would give me substantial cost savings as I normally sign up for longer distances. Otherwise, I do have to be mindful about the early cash out front commitment.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY