Grousing Shape Run 2014 (Singapore)

Sunday 17 August 2014




After my very enjoyable experience with the Great Eastern Women's run and X-Bionic Venus Run, I was excited about this race. I was really looking forward to it. The new medications for my cancer treatment have been making me unwell since 3 days ago as my body is still  reacting and making adjustments. Yet, I didn't give up! I woke up at 4 a.m. to take part in the run.

To certain extent, I was a little disappointed after making all the efforts.

Grouse No. 1 : Inaccurate Race Information

Simon was worried about the race cut-off time for my 10 km run after he read the race event website a week ago. It stated that all race participants must complete their respective races within 1.5 hour.  He did not think I could make it. 

This information remained inaccurate until an amendment was finally made just before the race. It was a relief to learn that the actual cut-off time was 2.5 hours for the 10 km category.

Grouse No. 2 : Actual Start Point Venue Not Specifed / Inaccurate Car Parking Information

The route map provided in the Race Guide and event website did not specify the exact Start Point location. We had to make our own guesses from the vague route map that was provided. 

As we drove, we were unable to verify the accuracy of the public transport information. We, however, noticed the inaccurate car park information that were published in the Race Guide. 

We parked our car at Golden Mile Complex/Golden Mile Centre as instructed. Only to find out that the nearer car park would be Concourse - at least  350 metres nearer to the start point and with many more available parking lots. 

In an event of such scale (estimated 9,000 runners), we do expect due diligence to be conducted before information are published in the Race Guides and event website. 



Grouse No. 3 : Inadequate Hydration!

I think most people agree that the biggest sin in a road run/race is for the organiser/sponsor to provide inadequate hydration. Read (here) about the consequences of dehydration. Race organisers, especially those organising women's races, need to understand that most participants are not elite runners. We are more likely beginners/amateurs or leisure runners. Most of us have limited knowledge and experience in strategising a  proper hydration plan for our runs. Due to our ignorance, we are prone to hazards in a case of inadequate hydration. 

There were supposedly 4 hydration points in today's race :
  1. Water Point 1 - 1.5 km mark 
  2. Water Point 2 - 5.5 km mark
  3. Water Point 3 - 8 km mark
  4. Water Point 4 - Finishing Point
Water Point 1 (1.5 km mark)
In my humble opinion, this water point would be more appropriate at the 2 or 2.5 km mark. Unlike other races, there was only one small table with few paper cups by the roadside as we approached. Runners were made to collect a paper cup from this table before joining the long queue/crowd behind it to have our drinks poured in. I was running at a 7.5 - 8 min/km pace in the first few kilometres. I was certain that I was in the middle of the pack. They should not be running out of water at this early stage? After beating the long queue, all I had in my paper cup was slightly more than a sip. Truly my mistake. I should have remembered to drink water before I left home this morning! 

Water Point 2 (5.5 km mark)
We might have been spared from the hot sun in today's run, but the high level of humidity posed a challenge for us to reach the second water point (about 4 km away). By the time I arrived, there was not a single paper cup in sight. Instead, a 1.5 litre H*O bottle was chucked to me. Don't be happy. They were passing the 1.5 litre bottles around. We were to drink after other runners from the same bottle. And the bottle was immediately snatched away for the runner behind me before I could even take a full sip.

Hygiene standards - Hmmmm....

Water Point 3 (8 km mark)
Under normal circumstances, it is not a major issue for me to go without water for at least 10 km. It was different today as I was already not in the normal form to begin with. With the lack of hydration from the first 2 water points, I was aware of its impact on my body. I was starting to have cramps, both at my abdomen and my legs. I began to feel nauseated. It was horrifying and I gave up running totally. I decided to slow walk from 6 km onwards...and was elated when I arrived at Water Point 3 - the only station that had adequate water supplies.

Water Point 4 (Finishing Line) 
I dared not risk running again for the rest of my race and walked through the finishing line. Like many other runners, I was desperately looking for water. There were no directional signage and no marshals to guide us. After much scurrying like a lost soul, I was directed to a queue that was forming outside Nicole Highway MRT station by fellow runners. Having waited in the queue for 10 to 15 minutes, the queue suddenly dispersed and everybody was crossing to the other side of the road. I had no choice but to re-queue all over. 

By then, many runners from all the 3 categories (10 km/5 km/Me & Mini Me 1.8 km) were  back. As there were no directional signage, one could imagine the chaos. Everybody was queuing and cut-queing everywhere as  some realised they were in the wrong queue (for wrong sized finisher t-shirts). One desperate security officer was yelling at the top of her voice in an attempt to direct runners to the right line. Unfortunately, she gave the wrong instruction too. I was supposedly getting a M-size shirt but ended up in a L-size queue.



I finally got my water in a paper cup after staying in line for almost an hour. Few ladies jokingly commented that they could just faint in the queue than in the run. 

Can anything be more sinful than depriving runners of water after their runs?! 

I have not even mentioned that the water/medal/finisher t-shirt queues were intercepting the portable toilet queues in the same area. It was also unfair to the sponsors at the race village as many chose to leave as they were already exhausted after the long wait in the queue. 



The ambience and vibes were a little dull. There were almost nobody to cheer the runners on except our own husbands, boyfriends and the fantastic Holly. The race organising was amateurish. Their inexperience apparent. 

Honestly, we do not need the celebrity hunks as pacers. We do not need a frivolous race pack. What we need are just the fundamentals : 

  • A nice and comfortable race jersey (the Skechers jersey was great!)
  • A nice and safe running route
  • Adequate hydration
  • Sound planning and sufficient manpower support so that we are not made to queue too long for everything!


Lastly, I must praise all the women participants/runners for being most patient and tolerant despite the odds. They were simply awesome!




There are not many women races in Singapore. I certainly hope for the Shape Run to continue. This may not be a good race experience for me, but I am still optimistic about their improvements in future. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY