Simon prepares for his maiden Ultra-78km

Monday 25 August 2014


I will be taking part in my maiden ultra run - in the 78 km category of "Craze Ultra 2014" on Saturday, 20 September 2014. 

I aim to complete this remarkable distance without setting any time goal in mind. After all, it is intended as a personal achievement (and my personal record) if I can complete the full distance.

The preparation for my maiden ultra-marathon has, thus far, been a torturous journey. Juggling between training time in addition to my routine work and family life have been extremely difficult. For instance, in many training sessions, i have to wake up at 2 ~ 3 am to commence my runs. Instead of running long distances to prepare myself, i choose to run several back-to-back distances to condition my legs.

My longest training distance clocked this month was 41km (on 23 August). I had initially targeted to complete 50km in this training session but gave up at the 41 km mark as I was mentally sleepy (as i started my training at 1:30am) and physically ill-prepared for it (ahem...didn't clear my bowel system; didn't carbo-load; only equipped myself with water bag and one  pack of energy chew for the entire distance). 

Now that I have less than 3 weeks before the actual race, I will have to concentrate on core strengthening and maintenance / conditioning runs. 

I am crossing my fingers that these training sessions would adequately prepare my body  for the actual day.



I most welcome any runners who'd experienced an ultra run to share with me better methods to prepare myself for this maiden attempt. Many thanks in advance.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY